Having a working central heating system is more than a luxury—it’s a necessity for safety and well-being. When that heat isn’t working properly, it can be extremely frustrating. Problems with a furnace go beyond simply not running. In some cases, the furnace is not communicating with the thermostat, meaning you are no longer able to control the heat. If your heating wont turn off then call the experts at Aspire Heating, Cooling, & Electrical.
Why Your Heating Wont Turn Off
When your furnace runs non-stop, it can be as frustrating as when it doesn’t come on at all. If your heat won’t turn off, it is likely due to one of the following factors:
- Thermostat not functioning or set improperly
- Problem with the air filter, including dirt blockage
- Broken fan motor on furnace’s blower
- Ductwork problem
Most of the time, the problem relates to the thermostat. See below for troubleshooting tips for your thermostats. If the thermostat is functioning properly, however, it still might be an easy fix. Air filters work by blocking dirt and other debris from entering the ducts. These filters require changing regularly for proper operation. When they get blocked, they restrict or altogether prevent heat from getting through. If your heat won’t stop, check to make sure the filter is clear of debris.
Similarly, if your home’s ductwork is leaky, it will cause problems. Homes have two types of ducts: supply and return. Supply ducts blow hot air into the home. Return ducts suck air into the furnace, which heats the air. Moreover, when there is a leak, hot air is leaking into the attic or crawl space rather than the home. This means that the furnace runs constantly in order to properly heat the home.
Understanding Your Thermostat
If you’re having trouble with your thermostat, that is the likely cause for your furnace problems. One common mistake is that people set their thermostat to “ON” rather than “AUTO.” When set to “ON”, the furnace blower continually runs, blowing both hot and cold air. “AUTO” mode will instruct the blower to run only when the burners are on. Additionally, thermostats today are digital and can be somewhat complicated.
Resetting the thermostat can help solve the problem. To reset the thermostat, follow these steps:
1. Turn the heating off at the thermostat
2. Find the circuit breaker box in your home
3. Switch off and reset the circuit breaker that contains the furnace/air
4. Wait half an hour
5. Then, turn the thermostat back on and see if it is working properly
If the problem persists, it’s likely time to call in the professionals – Aspire Heating and Cooling.
What it Means When Your Furnace Runs When Your Thermostat is Off
If the thermostat and air filter are in good shape, then the problem might be more serious. When this is the case, the problem will likely require professional help. Since furnaces rely on fans to disperse the hot air, the motors that power them can break down. If there is a problem, it is likely with a fan limit switch. This switch regulates the on/off function of the furnace. Fortunately, Aspire’s certified technicians can easily replace this part.
The Best in Quality and Service
Aspire’s experienced technicians offer personalized solutions and friendly service. Additionally, they offer honest pricing and fair dealing to provide all customers with unmatched, quality service. So, when your heating wont turn off they will get it back up and running normally.
Further, Aspire offers 24/7 service, repair, installation, and complete system replacement, should that ever be necessary. They can even help you set up a generator to prepare you for bad weather. A veteran owns and operates the company and takes pride in being trustworthy. Check out just a few of the reasons why you should choose Aspire:
- Comprehensive solutions—let their experts diagnose and repair the problem correctly the first time.
- Local experts—their local technicians are your friends and neighbors. They have your best interests in mind, so you can trust them to do the job right.
- Fast service—they know how frustrating it can be to be without heat in the winter. That’s why they strive for fast turnarounds, so you can stay comfortable.
- Maintenance plans—they offer several tune-up plans that provide regularly scheduled service calls. This means that they will find small problems before they become major, expensive issues.
- Discounts—they offer discounts on service to veterans and seniors.
- Honest and fair business practices—Aspire aims to be a partner rather than just a provider. They offer honest, upfront pricing so you can depend on them for years to come.
So, give Aspire a call today at 336-936-9111 to make sure you stay warm this winter. Or, request a quote by contacting them online.